SBISD Curriculum – Building Connections & Understanding + Real-world Application
“We [Spring Branch ISD] believe mathematics prepares students to use patterns and relationships to discover the connections between mathematical concepts and their application to real-world models. Using effective and efficient strategies, students make decisions, select tools, solve problems, and communicate their understanding of mathematical concepts.”
Supported by the American Association of University Women and
AAUW-WHC Women in STEM (WISE) Action Research Team
Bringing entertainment and enrichment to education.
Thank you for your work to bring computer education to our SBISD children. Our Hour of Code and Proclamation from Mayor Parker has paid off. Code.org is now offering curriculum focused on elementary school students. As you send your students off for the summer, encourage them to read and create using code.org lessons as a motivating resource for learning. And thank you for completing the SBISD Survey.
10-03-13 * SBISD Professional Development STEM Robot Introduction
- STEM Robot Professional Development Outline
- Bee-Bot_TATN_lesson_plan 2008
- Computational Thinking Definition + Standards
12-12-13 * Computer Science Education Week Hour of Code Celebration
- Celebrate computer science education week at our 2nd STEM Robot PD at Woodview ES.
- Share ideas to integrate the BeeBot and coding into activities using 6-3-5 Brainwriting.
- Preview new “code” and tools for building the growth mindset and spatial reasoning skills.* Scratch* Turtle Art* Light Bot
- Brainstorm using ideas from your AAUW Why So Few in STEM booklet.
Summer * Enhance your programming skills
- Code Camp: Volunteer – Learn and Earn PD Time
- CODE.ORG Lessons: PD in the Fall – Learn and Earn MONEY as a Code Teacher.
September 2014 * FREE Code.org PD and Materials
October 25th Houston Community College Alief Campus – Please join our Code Camp for Teachers.
Teacher Blog Sites
- Alfred Thompson – great list of block programming software